For the sixth consecutive year, Navy Pier is proud to host Neighborhoods of the World presented by ComEd, a free nine-week series that celebrates the rich tapestry of Chicago’s diverse communities and the many unique cultures of our city through collaborations with community arts organizations, consulates, and museums.
Every Sunday starting Feb. 21 through April 17, the series will spotlight a different country and commemorate its culture and heritage with a brilliant showcase of lively folk music, traditional dance, native costumes, authentic cuisine, creative crafts, and more. Held from noon to 4 p.m. in the beautiful setting of the Crystal Gardens, Neighborhoods of the World presents Chicagoans and visitors with a unique opportunity to learn and experience different countries and cultures – all for free, and without ever leaving their backyard!
This year’s series begins with a celebration of the Chinese New Year on Sunday, Feb. 21. In the weeks that follow, tributes will be paid to Africa, Italy, Lithuania, Philippines, Greece, Mexico, India, and for the first time, Poland.
2016 Neighborhoods of the World Schedule
- Feb. 21: Chinese Celebration – Chinese New Year (Year of the Monkey), presented in partnership with the Chinese Fine Arts Society
- Feb. 28: Celebrate Africa, presented in partnership with Africa International House USA
- March 6: Celebrate Italy, presented in partnership with the Italian Cultural Institute and the Joint Civic Committee of Italian Americans
- March 13: Celebrate Lithuanian Independence, presented in partnership with the Consulate General of Lithuania
- March 20: Philippine Celebration, presented in partnership with the Consulate General of the Philippines and the Philippine American Cultural Foundation
- March 27: Greek Celebration, presented in partnership with the Consulate General of Greece
- April 3: Celebrate Mexico, presented in partnership with the Consulate General of Mexico and the Mexico Tourism Board
- April 10: Celebrate Poland, presented in partnership with the Polish American Chamber of Commerce
- April 17: Celebrate Amazing India, presented in partnership with the Consulate General of India and the Indo-American Heritage Museum
As Neighborhoods of the World kicks off, guests are also encouraged to stop by to visit the event-inspired mural, entitled “A Cultural Conversation.” Hand-painted by local artist Pete Nawara, the large-scale mural celebrates the spirit ofNeighborhoods of the World and the diverse community of guests, partners and employees that make up Navy Pier. The 100-feet long and 16-feet high mural is located in the southwest corner of the new food experience.
Neighborhoods of the World is one of the many events that Navy Pier looks to develop and grow as part of its Arts and Discovery Program. With an eye toward offering an authentic Chicago experience and a unique educational opportunity to all Navy Pier guests, this exciting pilot program seeks to inspire renewed enthusiasm for the city’s storied lakefront gem, just in time for the Pier’s 100th anniversary. The program will launch new initiatives as the Centennial Celebration kicks off in summer of 2016.
For more information on Neighborhoods of the World, please visit www.navypier.com.