Free and open to the public, YAS! Fest will be the largest celebration of young artists in Chicago history, with the creative works of thousands of young artists showcased throughout the Millennium Park Campus (201 E. Randolph Street), and a finale that features hip-hop star Desiigner (“Panda”) as the headliner. Opening for Desiigner’s mainstage performance is 19-year-old breakout artist Ravyn Lenae, a graduate of Chicago High School for the Arts. YAS! Fest will take place on Saturday, Sept. 22 from 11 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Chicago favorite DJ Mike P will host and DJ as part of the mainstage program at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion. Born and raised on Chicago’s South Side in the Hyde Park neighborhood, he attended Urban Prep Charter Academy – Englewood Campus where he got his start in the industry by DJ’ing school events; now he is the top DJ choice for Chicago Public Schools and Chicago Park District events.
YAS! Fest events will be held across the Millennium Park Campus including throughout Millennium Park (201 E. Randolph Street), the Chicago Cultural Center (78 E. Washington Street), Maggie Daley Park (337 E. Randolph Street) and the Art Institute of Chicago (111 S. Michigan Avenue). The headlining performance from hip-hop star Desiigner with opener Ravyn Lenae will bring the festival to a “Yaaaas!”-inducing conclusion at the Jay Pritzker Pavilion.
Additional YAS! Fest programming includes:
- Chicago Park District’s Teens In the Park presents its annual concert featuring audition winners from across Chicago to perform at the T.I.P. Fest stage on the South Promenade.
- Dozens of performances from youth groups across the city including mainstage Jay Pritzker Pavilion acts from Little Kids Rock, Ensemble Español Spanish Dance Theater, and the renowned Hiplet Ballerinas along with students from Chicago Multi-Cultural Dance Center.
- A diverse classical concert featuring the Chicago Children’s Choir and Chicago Youth Symphony Orchestras, broadcast live from Jay Pritzker Pavilion for WFMT’s Introductions program.
- An interactive media lounge including the Chicago Youth Voices Network and Chicago Public Library’s YOUmedia with a live pop-up youth radio show, maker stations, DJ lessons, green screen filming, interactive digital stations and photo ops. Presented in Millennium Park’s North Promenade.
- A YAS! Stage with youth performances at Wrigley Square, plus family friendly and hands-on activities across the Millennium Park Campus, including live artmaking, demonstrations and more.
- Year of Creative Youth exhibitions on display at the Chicago Cultural Center featuring youth artwork presented by Changing Worlds, Chicago Arts Partnerships in Education, Garfield Park Conservatory Alliance and Puerto Rican Arts Alliance.
- The Art Institute of Chicago will be showcasing live arts and youth activities throughout the museum including a PROjectUS fashion show, Young Chicago Authors’ Louder Than A Bomb Squad spoken word performance and more.