The James Beard Awards are coming back to Chicago, and the celebration is taking place all week with James Beard Eats Week.
The James Beard Awards have been called the “Oscars of the food world” by “Time” magazine, and Chicago has a history of being well represented and this year looks like it won’t be any different. Medals and awards are fun for the recipients, but what we all want is delicious food. Over 100 restaurants will be taking part in James Beard Eats Week where they will have special menus or dishes inspired by James Beard, the iconic American chef for which the awards are named after.
One hundred is a lot of restaurants, so as always we’ll go to the concierges’ favorites to help narrow it down—with one favorite even opening a restaurant completely dedicated to James Beard.
Concierges’ Favorites Participating in James Beard Eats Week
- Acanto: Highlights include fried calamari, sofrito, escabeche of mackerel, spring green, and legume salad.
- Benny’s Chop House: Highlights include roasted chestnut soup with fried oyster, Meyer lemon, and crispy prosciutto.
- Del Frisco’s Double Eagle Steakhouse: Highlights include a beef Wellington with truffle duxelle, foie gras, and sauce Americaine.
- Fat Rice: Portuguese fish stew with halibut, prawns and clams, and James Beard’s Portuguese sweetbreads
- The Gage: Highlights include country-fried Mcfarlane Farms pheasant with potato puree, braised cabbage, dill, and pickled peaches.
- Gibsons Bar & Steakhouse: Highlights include bone-in filet medallions with mashed potato, herb roasted carrots, and sauce au poivre.
- Howells & Hood: Highlights include roasted chicken from Miller Farms with basil, scallions, baby potatoes, and lemon herb butter.
- J.B. at Eataly Chicago: While Eataly is one of our concierges’ favorites, J.B. at Eataly is a new addition to the Italian grocery and multi-eatery that is dedicated to and inspired by James Beard with a menu that only consists of dishes found in Beard’s own cookbooks like the baked pork chop stuffed with mushrooms and bacon.
- Kinzie Chophouse: Highlights include a mango duck breast pilaf.
- Quartino Ristorante: Highlights include rigatoni with lamb sugo and stracciatella di burrata.
- Riva Crabhouse: Their $39 menu includes roasted Atlantic salmon with charred cauliflower and wild mushrooms.
- Rockit Bar & Grill: Highlights include smoked pork sausage, roasted pork loin, crispy yukon potatoes, and braised sauerkraut.
- Roka Akor: Highlights include an oyster flight and robata-grilled scallops with apple gastrique and watercress salad.
- RPM Italian: Highlights include ramp and smoked ricotta ravioli
- The Signature Room at the 95th: Highlights include an elk burger with braised pork shoulder, bourbon poached pear, and crispy onion
- Sunda New Asian: Highlights include crispy buns with creamy lobster and shiso pesto.
- Tortoise Club: Highlights include house-smoked rainbow trout, Brandade pickled fennel, and kettle chips.
- Volare Ristorante Italiano: Highlights include suckling pig cooked crunchy with a creamy cauliflower puree served with a red wine and dry fruit reduction sauce.
James Beard Eats Week takes place April 22–May 2 at various restaurants across the city. For a full list of restaurants and more information visit http://www.choosechicago.com/jbf/.